We tried throwing a pizza on the grill earlier this summer and it’s totally addicting! We’re calling this “The Summer of the Pizza” and enjoy grilled pizza several times a week. Some people do this with a round baking stone, but I don’t have that – so you can do without one, too!
A) Pre-bake a pizza crust inside under the broiler, not on bake, so the top of it gets a little bit crusty. If you want to make the dough at home, this recipe is very simple and delicious. Super easy if you have a stand mixer!
B) Cover with your preferred toppings -five suggestions will follow!
C) Season your grill grates with a little bit of olive oil on a paper towel.
D) Put the pizza on the grill until the bottom is crispy and the cheese is melted. Some directions say to leave it on high, but we’ve always left our wonky grill on low and it produces deliciousness for us.
While the regular inside method makes a great pizza, nothing beats the fire-oven taste we get from the grill. Now that you know how to be sweet and grill your summer pizzas, here are five great topping recipes you should try:
1) The Hummel Special – tomato paste and italian seasoning, covered with mozzarella, pepperoni, mushroom, broccoli, and pineapple.
2) Smitten Kitchen’s Zucchini pizza is great, but Aaron prefers chopped asparagus so we do that for his half, like in the picture above.
3) Western BBQ – a little bacon and a chicken breast, chopped to smithereens and thrown into a pan with half a red onion, mixed with barbeque sauce and a can of crushed pineapple. Covered with mozzarella to keep it all on the crust.
4) Salmon pizza – herbed goat cheese or cream cheese, with chunks from a salmon fillet, thinly sliced red onions, chopped asparagus and capers. This is PERFECT with a spinach and strawberry salad.
5) Mushrooms and Bleu Cheese – cream cheese and blue cheese for the base, covered with quartered portobello mushrooms and some thinly sliced scallions or leeks. Sprinkle a little real grated parmesan over the top!
7 thoughts on “Friday Five: grilled pizza recipes”
Thanks for posting….I heard you had grilled pizza and wondered how you pulled off such a feat! We’ll def. have to give it a try.
Gosh I wish we lived close together… we’d eat at your house all the time! 😉
It’s so easy… you need to try it! The baby girl wants some of her fave aunt and uncle’s grilled pizza.
It appears to be a rather thick crust. Have you found an optimal thickness? we usually error on the thin side…I’m guessing that wouldn’t work so well on the grill.
Don’t worry! Some of ours have been pretty thin. That one in the picture was definitely the thickest, too thick to truly enjoy the toppings actually. Just pat flour all over the outside of the crust really really well and you should be okay! enjoy!
Wow! This looks DELICIOUS! Can we make it in August when we come out to visit??? pleeeaaasssseee……
I can attest to this being amazingly delicious.
Comments are closed.